A church in Hanmer, near Wrexham has received £10,000 from the National Churches Trust to help fund a new roof project.
The grant will assist the congregation of St Chad’s Church to replace the lead side aisle roofs to stop rain water leaking into the Grade II listed building. There are frequent occurrences of rain coming through the roof during bad weather that is affecting the delicately carved oak ceilings of both side aisles. Water also drips down onto the organ pipes, the sound system control box and the upholstery of the side aisle chairs.
Earlier this month, the church launched a campaign to encourage people to sponsor an oak panel at a cost of £25 each to help raise additional funds for the roof repairs.
St Chad’s is one of 29 churches and chapels in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland to benefit from the latest grants from the National Churches Trust, the UK church repair and support charity.
The broadcaster and journalist Huw Edwards, is Vice-President of the National Churches Trust. He said: “I’m delighted that this Christmas the future of St Chad’s Church, Hanmer is being safeguarded by a National Churches Trust grant. This funding will help ensure this beautiful and historically important Welsh church continues to serve local people for many years to come.”
As well as being a place of worship, St Chad’s Church acts as a community hall, regularly hosting arts and craft exhibitions, school fairs, choir concerts, lectures, mothers union meetings, PCC meetings and heritage group visits.
St Chad’s is a beautiful church in a splendid setting with a wonderful heritage. The old medieval stone church, predecessor to the present church, dates from the middle of the 12th century. It was this first stone church that saw the marriage of Margaret Hanmer to Owain Glyndwr in about 1383. It was badly damaged in 1463 in the Wars of the Roses at the time when the great Welsh language poet, Dafydd ab Edmund, lived and wrote there. It was occupied in the Civil War and a battle took place here in 1643. It had a new roof in 1892 after a damaging fire. The poet R S Thomas was curate there in the first years of WWII.
St Chad’s today is the third restoration after the major fires of 1463 and 1889. The original 12th century style and plan were retained through each reconstruction, so in its graceful pillars there is an architectural continuity of over 700 years. Today St Chad’s remains a heritage treasure and centre of a village community.
Christmas services are taking place at St Chad’s Church on:
- Christmas Eve: 6pm – Crib Service / 11pm – Holy Communion
- Christmas Day: 11am – Family Holy Communion