Here’s a list of work undertaken by members of the Mothers’ Union across the Diocese.
Work in the Community
Helping with food banks
Volunteering with the local hospital shop and trolley service
Shopping for the housebound
Taking people to the launderette etc.
Luncheon clubs or social clubs for the elderly (run by MU branches or the church)
Volunteering in charity shops
Volunteering with meals on wheels
Helping at our churches
Baptism and marriage preparation
Sending baptism anniversary cards
Help with Messy Church
Providing RE books for primary schools
Providing books for pupils moving up to secondary school
Running the children’s area in the church
Visiting the sick
Refreshments at church events
Doing the intercessions and readings at church services
The annual St Asaph Diocesan Project
We have a three year rota:
- Year 1 – Fundraising for Overseas (to help the Literacy and Numeracy projects & Parenting Projects etc.)
- Year 2 – a local “hands on” project
In 2017 so far, we hear of branches who have been part of the following projects
- Meliden & Gwaenysgor met the children from Chernobyl and gave them gifts
- Rhyl, also Bistre help provide a packed lunched for children during the school holidays.
- Members around the Diocese have knitted trauma teddies, twiddle muffs
- Making story bags and helping children with their reading
- Local Holywell/Mold group support Syrian families placed in Flintshire
- Support for Deeside Womens Refuge with toiletries towels and bedding
- Year 3 – Raising funds for Away From it All (AFIA) There has not been much call on this fund and so in 2018 fundraising will be for Diocesan Fund and The Emergency Fund.